Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Books on Plotting

As many of you know, I've hit a major roadblock in my current WIP and have been frustrated with the story for weeks. To help me out of the quagmire, I've been reading Building Better Plots by Robert Kernen. Another writer, LaConnie Taylor-Jones, recommended I read it from cover to cover and so its been very enlightening. Like another book I've read titled Plot & Structure (Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot that Grips Readers from Start to Finish) by James Scott Bell, BBP focuses on:

The Narrative,
Plot Structure (where I am right now),
Inciting Incident,
Rising Action,
The Climax and Resolution,
Using Plot Archetypes,
Creating Characters and Back Story,
Constructing an Outline,
Subplots, and
Deepening the Story's Resonance.

P&S gives a study of:

Structure,
Beginning Strong, Middles and Endings,
Scenes,
The Character Arc in Plot,
Plotting Systems,
Common Plot Problems and Cures, and
Revising Your Plot.

So far both books have given me food for thought and made me realized that perhaps the initial conflict between Kelis and Paxton, my heroine and hero, is not strong enough to sustain the story. Those of you who have critiqued the story know what I'm talking about. Others will have to wait for when its published -- and it WILL be published! I can feel.

Even though I am studying this craft called writing, I must prevent the studying from keeping me writing. It's so easy to get so engrossed in research that you just don't create anything.

So what have you read on plotting if anything? Have you read BBP or P& S?

6 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

No, I haven't read that. YET. :)

I liked GMC by Debra Dixon alot.

And I just ordered from the UK Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance. I can't wait until it comes!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've read a few books on plotting. Are either of those published by Writer's Digest? I read one published by them. It's part of a series of books.
When I first started writing, I read everything I could get my hands on. It's a great help. But writing is the best way to go. The more you write; the better you'll get.
Keep it up!

Chelle Sandell said...

I need to see if they have that here or will try to order it. It sounds like it could really help me! Someone else suggested Kate Walkers guide so I may try it too. But it also seems that the crits are helping me with my flow and structure so I am afraid to get started on something until I finish my editing. Or I may never submit! But then again...it may not be worth submitting unless I make sure I am working right.

Angela Jefferson said...

You're not the first person to sing Debra's book's praises. I'm gonna have to get that too.

Chicki Brown said...

You're back to bloggiing. Yay!!

I've heard such great things about Debra Dixon's book. It's on my education list. The best book I've ever read on writing is Bob Mayer's "The Fiction Writer's Toolkit." He just makes things so clear to my usually befuddled mind.

Unknown said...

MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
Man with a van Wirral
Man with a van Wirral