Thursday, January 04, 2007

Plotting: Is it an Exact Science?


I'm sitting at my keyboard jotting down notes for the plot of my latest WIP and am suddenly wondering how other writers tackle the whole plotting process.

I'm an analytical person and want to try to approach the task systematically. I've created a Word document with a number list of plot points, i.e. a chronological list of events that take place in the story. Each numbered item is about a paragraph long with a summary of the interaction between the characters. No dialogue, no scene description. Just the action. Hopefully I'll be able to use each item or combine items to develop a scene or scenes for a chapter.

Once that's done, I'll read the items as a reader, not a writer, looking for holes, inconsistencies and illogics. This will allow me to ask questions which will aid in developing character motives and reactions.

Next I'll use my trusty-dusty Scene Worksheets. The scene worksheets are terrific. One each sheet I record:

  • Chapter and scene number, i.e Chapter 1, Scene 2
  • Location/Setting
  • Character Point of View
  • Characters present
  • Scene goal(s)
  • Starting point
  • End point
  • Events in the scene
  • What the scene accomplishes?
  • Where does this scene lead?

Sounds pretty intense, huh? I'm simply trying to make sense of the plot and not wing it as I go. Have I run int roadblocks? Yep, my first WIP is mired right in the middle chapters, mainly because my hero and heroine don't seem to want to act according to the plan. I know in time those two and I will have a detente, but it's been hard.

I have read that other writers use devices like:

  • Outlines
  • Index cards
  • Writing in notebooks
  • Storyboards and pictures

So how do you plot? I'm dying to know.

6 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

I always start with an outline of chronological events from beginning to end. Then I go back and expand on each point with as much info as I can. Next I complete a detailed character profile for each character, main and secondary.

With my next WIP (which has been simmering on the back burner for six months), I've already done a picture collage of the characters and the house they live in and drafted the first two chapters.

Sometimes I think I'm just a little too anal about the whole process, considering I haven't sold a thing yet! But it's just the way I am.

Anonymous said...

I don't do a lot of plotting before hand, but I do tend to think about the story for a while. I usually know the beginning and a few necessary scenes in the middle and a hint of how I want it to end.
I've found if I plot the wip out too much, I don't want to write it. Somehow, it becomes to familiar to me.

My newest wip (I just started writing it today.) is book two of a series, so I'm having a difficult time staying in the POV of my new heroine and hero. I know my heroine pretty well, however. I know eventually she'll take over and start writing the book for me.

I'm curious -- do your characters take over the writing too?

Anonymous said...

When I have a story busting to get out, I will sit at the computer and just start writing about heroine/hero. I try to let details flow, including plot points and what/where I am thinking story should go.

After I drain my brain I will go back and reread, filling/changing as I read through. Then as my characters define themselves I try to do outlines on them so I will remember details.

Chelle

Anonymous said...

I always work from a very detailed outline. I guess what helps me is that I know the number of chapters I need - prologue, 17 chapters- epilogue. I know I need to split it in there, and I usually use the 3-4 chapter crisis/resolution. Like, a conflict starts at Chapter 1, ends at chap 5. Chap 6 is a new one, ends at chap 11. 12-17 is another conflict. If I get it right, I have 3 main conflicts for start-middle-end. This takes me along the road, chapter by chapter. I just did that yesterday for my third book. I started with a flow chart - which is basically listing pro - 1-17 - epi, on the page and give a few words of what happens in each. From there, I know if there's a chapter sagging. From here I flesh out the chapters per se, which gives me my outline. So as at right now, I know the start, middle, and end of this story. I simply need to write it down using POV, setting and dialogue. Let my characters come to life on the paper.
I dunno, this may sound very confusing, but it's how I worked both my first and second. Couldn't move on the first until I did this outline. Sometimes my characters want to take over, and I let them. But all in all, they reach the end I planned.
I thus have my first draft, which is then used to flesh out more, layer, add setting and emotions. Basically, rewrite it all while bulking and trimming in some areas.
Hope anyone can see some sense in there.
Cheers!

Angela Jefferson said...

My characters in Can't Help But Love You really frustrated me because they weren't behaving according to plan. The struggle continues. I've gotten advice to let the characters go and not be such a control freak but that is so hard for me.

Bella said...

Oops, it was Jennifer's blog, not Erin.

Bella