Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Great Outline Debate

I am constantly struggling to find the answer to the question of whether to outline versus not outline your story. I found Deirdre Savoy's blog entry on Blogging in Black today both timely and thought-provoking. As an analytical person, I want to outline my stories and plan out my plot and only deviate from the "plan" when necessary. However, new ideas and character input often get me off track and frustrate me. (Sigh!) Stop The Insanity On which side of the issue do you fall as a writer?

Here is what Dee had to say:


One of the most asked questions of professional writers by aspiring writers is “Do you use an outline and if you do what kind?” I hate that question. You see, I’m a pantser. I figure out as much as I need to know about my plot and characters, sit in the chair and have at it. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen in chapter 23 because I don’t know. My story and my people evolve as I write about them. I find plotting should be spelled p-l-o-d-d-i-n-g, because by the time I do it, I have lost all interest in writing the book.
Should you or shouldn’t you have an outline? The answer is really up to you. Do you need one? My answer is no, but here are a few pros and cons of each way to help you make up your mind.


Outline:
Pros: provides immediate structure and focusless chance of going off on tangents or painting yourself in a corner
Cons: more up-front workcan lock you in if you’re afraid to deviate from plan


No Outline:
Pros: just jump right ineasier to let the story develop as you write
Cons: can feel like “flying without a net”can lead to the sort of writer’s block when you don’t know what happens next


But, in truth, neither method is better or worse than the other. It depends on what works for you, not any other writer. Try it one way and if it doesn’t work try something else. Try different degrees of outlining—say having a rough idea of what goes on in each chapter as opposed to a scene by scene description. How you work should reflect your needs as a writer. Also, don’t be surprised if those needs change over time. You may start out as either a pantser or a plotter then gravitate the other way. My advice? Go with the flow and let the words flow.

Again, on which side of the issue do you fall as a writer?


3 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Well, I'm not a panster but I don't quite outline the whole story either.

I usually just have a general GMC for character when I start and then outline before I write each individual chapter.

But I'm trying something different. The girls over at my other writing forum are doing the 30 Day First Draft book. So we're all doing our worksheets from that together.

I'm hoping to finish the book I'm working on by this method. We'll see...

Chicki Brown said...

No doubt about it, I'm an outline girl. I can't work without my character profiles and a general outline of the book from beginning to end. But I'm open to the whispering of the muse to change things along the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm more of a pantser. I do have to know my characters pretty well before I start writing. I try to write a first draft before I do any revisions.