Monday, October 22, 2007

Remembering Quinton and Nola

In light of the sudden death of Hunter Tylo's (The Bold and the Beautiful) nineteen-year-old son, Mickey, on Thursday, I was reminded of one of my favorite soap opera couples. Mickey's father is Michael Tylo, Sr. one half of one of the greatest "Guiding Light" couples (besides Josh and Reva), Quinton McCord Chamberlain and Nola Reardon.

Back in the mid-80s as a teenager I was glued to the screen in the afternoons watching the developing romance between Quint and Nola (Lisa Brown) and was hooked on the genre of romance forever more. Quint looking dashing in his trademark ascot and sending smoldering looks at Nola. Nola the quirky Irish daughter with her fascination for the mysterious, debounaire boss.

When I read early editions of Harlequin romance where the wealthy boss was the quinessential hero, Quint was always the image in my head. An archealogist, he was Indiana Jones before Harrison Ford made the character his own. It's funny, we could always tell when you were seeing the real man Quint whenever his ascot was off. Hubba-hubba! Remember those heartwrenching moments when Nola was in a coma and Quint admitted he loved her while as her bedside. I was never more pleased than when Quint and Nola got married on June 24, 1983.

What a day! And the adventures continued until they left the show in 1985. Their characters made a reappearance in 1996 but it just wasn't the same.
For a walk down memory lane, check out this site: http://www.quintnola.com. I found this site and was catapulted into the past.
My prayers go out to the Tylo family.
AJ








4 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Hunter has definitely been through a lot in her life. It's so sad.

I don't know about Quinton and Nola because I was an ABC fan when I used to watch the soaps. Luke and Laura were my couple.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I never watched GL--but I DID know who Quinton & Nora were. (Thanks to Soap Opera Digest)

I didn't know about his and Hunter's son's death. How terrible.

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time fan of Quinton and Nola also. Have you ever considered writing a romance novel based on them? I think it would be terrific, especially since Guiding Light seems to not have an interest in bringing them back.

Anonymous said...

Hi again, it just occured to me that Guiding Light once had an entire novel written related to Reva and her son. If they can do that, wouldn't it be possible for you to do the same for Quinton and Nola if you wrote it in cooperation with Guiding Light. You could possibly even start the novel from the beginning of their relationship. I know there would definitely be an interest in a novel of this type. There are other people I know who are still Quinton and Nola fans to one extent or another.